In the Talamanca mountains, in the southern part of Costa Rica, the Borucas indigenous people, still live a relative isolated life.
Their daily life reflects a self-sustaining agricultural village, nowadays the tourism visiting to the community had create a new economic source.
Visiting the community of Boruca is undoubtedly an extraordinary experience, those who have had an opportunity to share with this indigenous people, admire the cultural heritage that the borucas have and the important development reached by the native communities of Costa Rica.
The indigenous community of Boruca stands out in Costa Rica for the struggle to recover its culture; more than a decade ago, leaders of the community, called the elders by them, decided to recover their traditions and their language. Thus initiating a determined process to counter the influence of foreign cultures, that according to some residents were destroying their own in an extremely way, an example commented by them is the case of some young people were wearing masks of “comics” heroes for the Fiesta de los Diablitos.
As the process of cultural recovery is consolidated, the community of Boruca proudly exhibit a series of skills in the fabric of woven garments, the carving of masks, painting, artistic presentations and others, all around the rich history, traditions and legends which is preserved by this respectable indigenous people.
In the present a large number of respectful visitors, come to the community of Boruca to learn about their history and appreciate the art they express in different forms and that is based on their rich traditions. Of special mention is the celebration of the “Fiesta de los Diablitos” Litle Devils Festival that takes place every year. We invite you to make this tour with us, with the certainty that you will also mention it, as one of your unforgettable traveling experiences.
|Departure / Return Place||Tours in Osa office in Palmar Norte of Osa, Puntarenas, Costa Rica|
|Departure time||8:00 am, please arrive 10 minutes before departure.|
|Return time||Around 4:00 pm|
|Clothing||Comfortable clothing, hat, shoes, sunglasses, camera, sun block and swimsuit.|
8 am Transport
- Departure to Boruca indigenous community, from the office of Tours in Osa located in Palmar Norte of Osa (it is recommended to be 10 min before)
- The route to Boruca is made bordering the Costa Rica’s largest river, the Térraba river, and then climbing the mountains enjoying beautiful landscapes.
9 am Boruca
- Villagers will welcome us in the Museum of Community History, there will be a tour while the local tourist guide, gives us an introductory talk about the community of Boruca, its legends, history, traditions among other topics of great interest.
10 am Hike
- It starts a walk of 1 hour approximately to the largest tree in Boruca, considered a sacred place by the inhabitants because of its age and the history that this tree has lived, then continues the trek to a beautiful waterfall in the area where we can refresh ourselves and admire the natural beauties of the area that are protected by the indigenous Boruca.
12 md Lunch
- Lunch time! You´ll enjoy a completely traditional lunch, served in leaves and prepared with traditional techniques and ingredients of the area, a rich banana salad, fried green plantain chips (patacones), smoked meat, palm heart hash, among other things that grown and are prepared in the Community of Boruca.
1 pm Workshops
- The interactive demonstration workshops start, you will be able to learn about the process in the creation of the traditional masks of Boruca, as well as a workshop on the textile preparation and all its process, from the creation of the natural dyes to the traditional process of weave of the garments used by Boruca culture.
3 pm Return
- Now is time to return to the office of Tours in Osa located in Palmar Norte.